You are here
5 things I have learned about becoming a consultant
Ever tried to change lanes in your car without looking in your mirrors? Dangerous, right? Well back in November of this past year (2013) I did basically just that. companyBE has been in the back of my mind for a couple of years but I was content with where I was. And then bam, I did it.
Here is what I learned about getting my consulting work started:
5. Don’t be afraid: it can seem daunting to take the leap but it is also pretty awesome. I have never gone bungee jumping/sky diving but I bet the exhilaration is pretty similar. It is exciting to feel like the world is in front of you.
4. You will find support all around you: friends, family, old co-workers – you name it – the support you need is all around you. I thought people would think I was crazy but I am beginning to think they thought I was crazy for doing what I was doing for so long.
3. Things happen for a reason: set goals, but don’t be afraid to let things go with the flow. This one isn’t just pertinent to entrepreneurs but life in general. Looks for the signs (inside of you) and good things will happen.
2. Take the time to do it right: build your brand (as an individual and as a company). People pay attention to these things. Don’t rush into anything and make sure you have your t’s crossed and i’s dotted.
1. You won’t have everything figured out: I always thought that I needed to have everything figured out before I took ‘the leap’. But the reality is that you won’t – and that’s ok.